T20 cricket has revolutionised the game not only economically but it has also given the opportunity for ICC to expand the game to different countries. This has led to approximately 100 countries now having a professional cricket team and includes most countries in Europe.
However, traditionally cricket was played amongst a handful of nations and there was little botheration to expand this great game. Even then there were a few players who played international cricket having been born in non-cricketing nations. We look at 5 such players.
1) Donald Carr – Carr was born in Germany which wasn’t a cricketing country by any stretch of imagination. He later went on to represent India and had 19,257 first class runs to his name.
2) Dick Westcott – Dick was born in football loving Portugal and went on to represent South Africa in international cricket. He played 5 tests for the Proteas.
3) Moises Henriques – IPL fans, especially those of SRH will be well versed with Moises. He was also born in Portugal and has represented Australia in the past.
4) Ted Dexter – Dexter was born in Italy which has had nothing to do with cricket over the years. He went on to represent England and even led the country.
5) Ashok Gandotra – Born in Brazil, Gandotra went on to represent India. He represented the nation in 2 Test matches.