Watch The Full Video Here:
It’s that time of the year again and there is a frenzy and a flurry of activities around the IPL as the auction for IPL 2020 is upon us. The auction for the cash-rich league is to be held in Kolkata on the 19th of December 2019. They say half the IPL is won on the auction table. This year also there are a plethora of big T20 names like Glenn Maxwell, Chris Lynn, and Pat Cummins in the auction who are surely going to fetch a big number in IPL auction. Having said that, the talent scout teams of all franchises are working overtime to unearth relatively lesser-known talents that will provide their teams an edge over the others. So here is a list of 5 relatively unknown players who might be in big demand during the glitzy affair.
1) Tom Banton – He’s an attacking young English batsman and according to Eoin Morgan a future T20 superstar. He recently made his international T20 debut against New Zealand. The added advantage with him is that he can keep wickets also. His T20 career strike rate is155.15 which is brilliant by any stretch of the imagination. He was prolific during the Vitality t20 blast this year amassing 549 runs and was second only to the number1 t20 batsman in the world Babar Azam. This young man can be an ideal choice for Chennai Super Kings as he can replace Shane Watson at the top of the order. Watch out for him during the auctions and indeed the IPL 2020.
2) Chris Green – This South African born Australian player plies his trade in most of the major t20 leagues of the world. He has been a part of CPL, Big Bash League, PSL, Global Canadian t20 league, etc. The USP of this off-spinner is that he is comfortable bowling in powerplay and death overs which are the two most difficult times to bowl for any bowler, let alone a spinner. The numbers also prove that. He has an astonishing economy rate of just 6.04 in the powerplay which is amongst the best in the world. His demand in this format is reflected by the fact that recently Sydney Thunder signed him for a contract of 6 years which happens to be the longest contract in the history of the Big Bash League. He can be the ideal pick for Kings 11 Punjab as Varun Chakravarty could not live up to his price tag and R Ashwin was traded to Delhi Capitals. Kings 11 Punjab possess a lot of talented Indian batsmen (KL Rahul, Mayank Agarwal, Sarfaraz Khan, Karun Nair) and therefore they have plenty of room to play overseas bowlers. If Green can bowl in the powerplay then Punjab can utilize Mujeeb as a wicket-taker in the middle overs. Also, don’t be surprised if you see him in Australian colours come the ICC World T20 2020.
3) Priyam Garg – He has been announced the captain of the India U-19 team and will be full of confidence. He would hope to follow the likes of Mohammed Kaif, Virat Kohli, Unmukt Chand, and Prithvi Shaw in inspiring India to another junior world cup. There is always a buzz around upcoming Indian talent before any auction and Priyam Garg is one such name to watch out for. This young talent from Uttar Pradesh had a sensational debut first-class season as he scored 814 runs at an average of 67.83. He further impressed in the Deodhar Trophy final scoring a smart 77 and therefore proved his white-ball credentials. Son of a school van driver, Garg will be will prove to be an ideal pick for Kolkata Knight Riders as the two-time champions have released Chris Lynn and are really thin on their Indian batting bench.
4) Virat Singh – Virat Singh is another swashbuckling Indian batsman coming through the ranks. Singh narrowly missed out on India u-19 call-up for the 2016 edition of the junior world cup. He rose back like the proverbial Phoenix and dominated this in the Syed Mushtaq Ali trophy. In the just-concluded domestic t20 competition the Jharkhand player averaged 57.16 with an impressive strike rate of 142.32. He even impressed in the Deodhar trophy and bailed his side out of trouble on a few occasions. Sunrisers Hyderabad is anyways on the lookout for young Indian batsmen as they have a plethora of overseas batting stars ( Warner, Bairstow, Williamson) but the likes of Deepak Hooda and Yusuf Pathan have been less than impressive and in fact, both have been released. With Shakib also released an Indian middle-order batsman alongside Manish Pandey would be ideal.
5) Yashasvi Jaiswal – Mumbai keeps coming up with batting sensations and Jaiswal seems to be the latest to join the bandwagon. Yashasvi Jaiswal will also be apart of the Indian U-19 team alongside Priyam Garg and will aim to defend the title for India. This young opener had a great U-19 Asia cup, helping India lift the trophy. His claim to fame is his 200 for Mumbai in his debut List A season. In the process, he became the youngest to a list A double hundred. Another one of the rags to riches story this boy used to be a cricketer at Azad Maidan by day and a pani puri seller at the same legendary maidan by evening. Rajasthan Royals after trading Ajinkya Rahane have a vacancy in the opening slot and Jaiswal has the potential to make that spot his own should the franchise opt for him during the auction.
These are the 5 players who are relatively unknown but have the credentials to go for big money in the auction for the cash-rich league. However, there are many more who might come out of nowhere and score big. If you think there any such players that we have missed out, please let us know in the comments section and also let us know what you think of our choices.