The Covid-19 has been the only point of discussion in recent weeks and unfortunately it seems like the deadly virus is here to stay, atleast in the immediate future. One of the worst affected has been the sport and event industries and the IPL is no exception. The cash rich league which was scheduled to begin on the 29th of March, has been pushed to 15th April already and there might be further developments, depending on the situation.
Even if the BCCI somehow manages to pull off IPL 2020 somehow they will have to take extreme precautions when it comes to the organisation of the event, as the health of the players and the whole crew has to be a of paramount importance. So here are 5 things that will be different in this edition of the IPL, should the tournament take place ;
1) No crowd – The tournament will be played behind closed doors as there are various advisories issued by the government against large public gatherings and a large crowd will put the health of both the players and the crowd in danger.
2) No fan parks – By pretty much the same logic of no large public gatherings and following of social distancing it would only make sense to not have the fan parks put in place this year.
3) No Home and away concept – The IPL will most likely be a truncated affair and the BCCI president, Sourav Ganguly has confirmed the same. Therefore one can be certain the traditional home and away concept will have to be done away with.
4) No Home advantage – The Delhi and Maharashtra governments both have already taken a decision to not host IPL games and therefore teams like Delhi Capitals and Mumbai Indians will not have any home advantage or benefit of local knowledge.
5) No presentation ceremony – One can’t help but think that cancellation of presentation ceremonies will have to be done as both the presenters and the players would like to maintain the minimum distance required and frankly extreme circumstances call for extreme actions.
What do you guys think about these changes in the IPL 2020? Do let us know if you have any further suggestions like cancellation of cheerleaders or doing away with opening and closing ceremonies.